Mission 3


Methodology Mission


Process:
For this mission I decided to pick “Digital Journalism” as it was the one that stood out to me the most. For the process of this I decided to re-read it a couple of times to understand the task I was asked to do. Firstly, I took out a notebook and pen and began to jot down notes of what some of the subheadings meant and what I could do for them and then I was thinking about possible videos I could make to show the audience about Digital Journalism.
I paired up with two other people who also wanted to do Digital Journalism.
We decided to meet up over the course of the three weeks and discuss what we were going to do.
We made a group chat to discuss when the best times to meet up were because everyone had work and college work to do, so once we decided on the days, we could meet up that was when we got started.
We met up a few times in the library to go through the so called brief with all the tasks outlined on www.introdm.cdmonline.ie  and decided who wanted to do what jobs/tasks.
We decided on the topic/ question “Do you think your addicted to your phone/ social media“
In which this case, we hope the end product will show how people of various different ages are addicted to their phone/ social media by using surveys, asking people specific questions and getting proof by asking people for screenshots of their daily screen time and weekly screen time.
For this the aim of the video is to highlight all the ideas listed above and to vividly show them in the video.
We came up with multiple different questions such as, “do you depend on your phone?” “how many hours are you on your phone every day?” “could you go a day without your phone?” “what’s the first app you open up check when you wake up?” and “what’s the app you use the most”

Process:
Firstly, to start off this assignment, Ava began by making a presentation with the likes of history of journalism and how people hear the likes of news and information today, I then made the survey with 5 good questions to ask people, and posted it on my social media in which this case I picked the app snapchat as its so common and all my friends and family use it, I got people to take my survey in order to see the results from all different ages and even then a lot were coming out the same. Sam then did the likes of gathering multiple screenshots of people’s screen times off people at various ages in order to find out what age group is more dependent on social media and their phone. To be honest this mission was personally the trickiest in order to decide what video to make but the ideas we came up with were, 1. To pretend one of us is a news presenter and go around and ask people different questions, 2. Be a radio presenter and ring up friends/ family and ask them questions in which is directed “do they think their on their addicted to their phone/social media?” and lastly 3. To make a video and because it’s all about digital media, we decided it would be better if we made the video by screen recording ourselves asking different question to different people at different ages.
In which this case we picked the third one, we started by asking multiple friends and family questions on a social media app called Snapchat which is commonly used by all ages.
We started combining the video on Adobe PremierPro and cutting all the unwanted footage out to make the video short and snappy, while screen recording we left our sound click on so you could hear us type which I think made the video sound so cool along with low music in the background which went really well with it.


Reflection:
Now to reflect on this last mission of “Digital Journalism” for  Intro to Digital Media of the first semester, you definitely can see the work we put into it and as well as that, we did have a presentation prepared but last minute we were told we weren’t going to be presenting it but even from just our video so that was our downfall, we explained everything that we were doing in the presentation, just not as clearly in the actual video itself but I feel as though we still did really well and I’m happy with the way we did it.
However, one thing I would change would be that I’d put a narration over the video to really demonstrate what we are doing along with using more social media sites to ask questions because a lot of people who don’t use Snapchat would probably use the likes of Instagram , Facebook, WhatsApp or even Twitter. I would probably not repeat the same questions over and over again and try come up with as much different questions as I could.
Along with that I genuinely am happy with the outcome of my video but was hoping for a better result, but it just shows me what I need to improve on and to read the briefs more carefully in the future.

Comments

Popular Posts